Seems Thailand has decided that January would be a challenging month for me! I got what is called the ‘Ton Sai-Tummy’ the other day. Basically it’s food poisoning, but not really poisoning, more like poor hygiene quality at restaurants or cross contamination of foods. You know the drill. Everyone gets it here eventually. Some people have worse luck than others and get it continually. As for me, I have been sooo lucky! This is the first occurrence for me. I ate fish for dinner, then I vomited all night long waking up about every hour to hurl again. I slep A LOT! And by a lot, I mean I slept for 33 out of 36 hours. I don’t even know what happened to that next day as I was hallucinating and had a high fever for most of it. I remember holding my blanket thinking I was hugging Lucky-my squirrel back home, and talking to him. Yeeeeaaah…it was pretty bad. The third day I was doing better, and of course was a bit stir crazy, so I went out to climb, but only did one warm up climb, then went home to bed and slept another 14 hours. After that I was stellar, and climbed a bunch the next day.
I’m planning on being in Ton Sai until mid February, and then I will begin to head north. I went to pay my bungalow until then, but they decided to RAISE my price even though high season is about over here. The lady said I haven’t been eating in their restaurant enough so she is deciding to charge me MORE!!!! I told her I had been sick, and injured and have been resting a lot. She said if I pay that much for awhile, she can give me a better price in March. I told her I wouldn’t be here. I’ve decided she is nuts, and so I will be moving out of that bungalow today.
My option you may wonder???
WEEEELLLL….
I have become friends with a Thai guy that runs a Café/bar that serves such good breakfast and coffee. I go there a lot to relax and read my books. He owns the place and runs it with his nephew and sister. It’s called Pyramid Bar (see the photo of the map in an early blog entry).
Chai is 26, Mook his nephew is 18, and we all banter back and forth all the time, it’s like having brothers. Since many of my friends left recently, I have spent a lot more time there enjoying all of their company.
I was talking to Chai the other day about my situation, and he made a joke that I could rent floor space in their bungalow. We joked about it…but it actually made sense. Today they bought me a mattress pad in town, mosquito net, sheets, and towels. I will be paying 1/3 of what I paid at Andaman. Also, because it is a restaurant/café, I can help out on my rest days, and store food there so I can save money on eating out all the time. Animals will get into everything at my old place, and I am not staying long enough to invest in storage containers for my food at my bungalow, but at Pyramid, they have all that stuff, and I can use the kitchen to cook. They are great people, and I feel lucky I have made friends with them. Today while in town, we went to the grocery store to stock up on supplies for the week….a lot of work. It is really interesting to see how these places function in order to cater to tourism. It is pretty crazy! I’m excited to see how the next couple weeks go living with them.
That is all that is new here in my world. The next couple weeks will just contain a lot more climbing, hanging out at my new casa, and some work in the coffee shop I am sure. Go figure.
My option you may wonder???
WEEEELLLL….
I have become friends with a Thai guy that runs a Café/bar that serves such good breakfast and coffee. I go there a lot to relax and read my books. He owns the place and runs it with his nephew and sister. It’s called Pyramid Bar (see the photo of the map in an early blog entry).
Chai is 26, Mook his nephew is 18, and we all banter back and forth all the time, it’s like having brothers. Since many of my friends left recently, I have spent a lot more time there enjoying all of their company.
That is all that is new here in my world. The next couple weeks will just contain a lot more climbing, hanging out at my new casa, and some work in the coffee shop I am sure. Go figure.
No comments:
Post a Comment