Due to the rain, and road being dirt most of the way, and it became apparent after about 2 hours of driving that we had to use caution on this particular road. More time passed, and we began to slid around. More rain came down. Then as we kept going, we saw cars ahead of us sliding all over the road, and some motorbikes that slid out of control and into the ditch on the side of the road. With time...it was inevitable for us also slide around...and so...we slid...A LOT. The back of the bus was fish-tailing toward the ditch and the tires just weren't catching.
Our options?
Wait it out and sleep in the bus until the morning when the road be more dry...or walk.
Against my will everyone decided to walk. There was NO WAY I was going to stay on the bus alone in the middle of no where. So I had to walk also. Not just walking and carrying ALL of our bags was a pain in the butt, I could handle that. HOWEVER...since the road was so terrible, if we were going to walk, we wouldn't be able to wear shoes. Walking barefoot...in the MUD...for who knows HOW FAR was not an appealing idea, ESPECIALLY, since it was so slippery, I was sure to fall flat on my face with all my stuff. Not to mention how unappealing it was to be walking with who knows WHAT kind of bugs, snakes, or other wild creatures were lurking in the bushes along the road...in the PITCH BLACK night!!
But 45 minutes later, we arrived on the pavement, safe and sound, where cars could drive, and our bus driver called a guest house with a free shuttle service if we stayed there. For $5 a night, no problem!
The town was Siem Reap; where Angkor Wat is located, and thus my reason for visiting Cambodge. The guest house was located not far from the temples, and the room was really nice. I'm pretty sure if this guest house was in the States, the room would be well over $100 a night. Needless to say, I felt pampered once again and was happy to have arrived to say the least.
The rest of my time in Cambodge was amazing...take a look for yourself.
The traffic in Siem Reap is so bad and the roads are mostly dirt so everyone in open air vehicles wear scarves or dust masks to help with the pollution and poor air quality.
The open-air food market where my guest house was is always alive with activity no matter what the hour is.
Even at night locals are buying and selling goods.
This is how meats get from the from farms to the restaurants.
BANANAS!
Other fruits.
Three to a motortbike while touring around Angkor....pretty normal in these parts.
Bayon and Angkor Thom....
Gotta show respect.
Monks making a pilgrimage to visit Angkor.
The famous Ta Phrom.
Striking how old this place is...sometimes I forget that as old as trees are, there are things older...that exsisted long before that seed even arrived in that ecosystem.
The ancient city of Angkor Wat at sunrise...
Angkor Wat can be a nice place to sit and think if you can get high enough up that you are away from the hordes of tourists.
Banteay Srey.
Banteay Kdei.
While walking to one of the sites, I came upon these two little boys with their baby sister in a basket. So funny, but it is the only way they can carry her around by sharing the weight of her when she is in the basket.
Meanwhile, the mom was selling mangoes to tourists. This is a normal day for them I assume.
The statues along this bridge have been beheaded and then sold to collectors for lots of money by thieves over the years. Angkor Wat is fully protected and is a heritage site nowadays.
This is one of my favorite photos from my trip that I have taken so far....the colors, the lighting, and the angles are amazing. I think I will draw it when I am home...
Many of the ancient statues and relics have been stolen and sold for large amounts of money to collectors around the world, this Buddha figure is one of many that have fallen victim.
Ta Som.
Meanwhile, the little girl fell inlove with my shells in my hair, and I showed her them. Then while I was bent down she asked if I wanted to play a game...tic-tac-toe. I said yes of course! Then the woman came back and admonished her for not selling me anything. She looked scared, so I bought the little paper decorations she was selling, and a pack of postcards which some of you will be getting in the mail! :)
Phnom Balheng, where you can view the sunset over the entire Angkor complex.
This is a family sneaking over the wall into Angkor to sell goods to tourists since they cannot afford admission.
The Cambodge countryside...
Markets just outside of Angkor where locals come from all over to sell goods to the tourists that may not make it into town to shop, and prices are much much higher here!
Monks visiting a village and a woman showing respect.
No comments:
Post a Comment