Thursday, January 22, 2009

The Good Times are Killing Me....

Upon Embarking on this journey, I knew I would be traveling alone. I mentally prepared for this before I even got on an airplane. I was excited to briefly meet people and learn from them and everyone move on further down their own paths when the time comes. I’ve become quite good at this.

While home, my lifestyle is a bit chaotic at times. Often I work around 60 hours a week, and if not working, I am away traveling and climbing quite a lot. Because of these things, I often keep people at bay, and I have become a pro at having acquaintances in my life, nothing too serious because what’s the point if I am to just leave again?

Well….my plans back-fired a bit.

Over the past 3 days, my world in Ton Sai has crumbled around me, and I am now forced to go back to that original state of mind I planned for. To be alone.
(The next 4 photos were taken by Terje, http://www.terjeaamodt.com/)
This is a photo of one of the Norwegians and me being a goof in the back ground...nothing new. :)


The Norwegian Mafia has left all but 3 people in Ton Sai (to watch over things for a bit-I’m quite sure).
This is a shot of Rannveig and I on our way to dinner with the rest of the Mafia.





These two photos are of the Norwegian Mafia and I having dinner in town for Lis's birthday (head of the Mafia-the totally fit Cuban woman in white).






Two days ago, 2 separate Swedish Mafia’s left, and Steve (the Canadian) and I went to Ao Nang with one group to say good-byes. I proceeded to eat 3 separate deserts before going back to Ton Sai to sulk.





This is a photo of the 'Up-and-Coming' younger Swedish Mafia that I mentioned in a previous entry, they're the crew that that swarmed the Ton Sai climbing scene shortly after the Norwegian Mafia took territory here hahahaa.



The next day was the worst blow. I literally felt that my heart was breaking when Rannveig, Maja and Terje left to go back to Norway yesterday.

This is what it looks like when our hearts are breaking...through the gift of friendship to the agony of the departure.

Rannveig has easily become one of my best friends, I don't know what else to say than that when I now think of her being gone I start to cry. I feel blessed to become so close with her, and I hate the panicky feeling I get when I think about not knowing when I will see her again.
Another hard one for me was Rannveig's future sister-in-law, Maja. She has this wonderful ability to talk though any situation and have brilliant insight as to how to take positive action. She has been my clam during the storms, and the sunshine coming through the clouds. Her fiancĂ© and Rannveig’s brother, Terje has a way of bringing the light-hearted side of things out, and has amazing motivation in life that is truly inspiring to me. They will be missed.


This is a photo of Maja, Rannveig and I on a bus heading back from a day of shopping in Krabi Town. (http://www.terjeaamodt.com/)




Today, Steve left also. He and I have become quite good friends, and he has been here since I first arrived in Ton Sai in December. I became friends with him before I even met the Norwegian Mafia, and therefore when I did, Steve quickly became part of that group also. It was very difficult to have him go home today, but luckily he doesn't live as far away from me as Norway!
I also had become close to Sangwon, who is part of the Korean climbing team (talk about Mafia!!!-there's about 30 of the Koreans here every year-all insanely strong), and he left today as well.







I went down to the beach today with plans to climb, and was so unmotivated that I only did one easy warm-up climb, then took the boat to Ao Nang to say the last good-byes, and I have spent the day here sulking and eating too much sushi.

Its funny how you plan to keep people at bay, then in the midst of having so much fun, you grow quite fond of people and become very close. The positive side of all this, is that we all teach each other something new, and it is a blessing to even have the opportunity to become friends at all when we live worlds apart. I just hope that now since I have found such amazing friends, that we contiune to find ways to cross paths again.

Now that everyone is leaving, and my ribs are just barely getting better, I can climb more adamantly. I have paid my bungalow though the end of the month, then perhaps I will be moving on from Ton Sai as well.

2 comments:

  1. HiKiddo, I know the feeling. Glad you are doing ok. Look for an Email

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too know the feeling and it is very hard to put into words exactly the way it effects you. Climb hard and have fun!

    ReplyDelete