Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Seoul Surviver

Back in Seoul, we decided between all the climbing and Sangwon’s training, we would sightsee…since this is my first time to S. Korea. This photo is on the bridge by the Olympic stadium.



Everyone here that has read my blog over the past year and a half should all be well acquainted with how much I love local markets. I just feel like local markets is where the ‘good stuff’ is at….kinda the same feeling I get when going to thrift stores too. So of course, we had to go!!


Never has a pancake in a cup made more sense….it has a MESSAGE folks…a message!








The spices and foods for sale were incredible, there were so many things that I had never seen before, similar to the way I felt in S.E. Asia. And it smelled so...interesting...yet really good!





































And yes, I am attracted to shiny objects....I think I was a rodent in my past life.

































One of the climbing gyms that we frequently visit is located outside at a park.


It is an outdoor climbing wall with cushioned floor, and the locker rooms and restrooms are located inside of it. There is also an indoor bouldering gym for warming up before doing the routes outside. So rad!


These are war memorials that are located within the park as well.



This is a pretty little frightening spider that was crawling on my pants....YIKES!

Sangwon and I at a coffee shop before his competition.





















The weather was pretty chilly and windy…the nice people next to me shared the thermos of hot coffee with me. Very kind!




















The climbers were kept in isolation before the competition in order for the people to set the routes without the climbers seeing. The athletes are then allowed to come out and study the wall briefly as a group. Then they go back into iso where they warm up until it is their turn to climb.















This is the video of Sangwon climbing at the comp, he won first place..great job!



















Victory dinner....Mmmm....





















Another day Sangwon took me to Namsan tower. It is a popular tourist attraction. It it is similar to the Seattle Space needle, and is located upon a mountain above the city.

We took a cable car up to the tower...the view of the city was really nice. We were blessed with nice weather!


















I think that this was really interesting, all along the fence bordering the patio of Namsan Tower, there were locks with love letters written on them. Apparently couples would come up and put a lock on the fence each keeping a key and representing their love. Key to your heart and all that...really neat.
















I really enjoyed my visit to Korea. My health has returned thanks to Sangwon and of course to the Monks back in Thailand and the people of Bonpong. With out such amazingly kind and generous people I don't think I would be alive right now.
























Time to head home and see poor Lucky!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment