I visited the Ho Chi Mihn complex as well…
And the Museum of Anthology; I thought the intricate paper decorations that the villagers make for festivals and ceremonies were pretty interesting. The Chinese influence on this country is quite apparent in these people’s heritage.
Another day I wandered the Hanoi again and came upon a huge Catholic church…for sure something that I hadn’t seen in quite some time. I went in, and the sermon was taking place and it was in Vietnamese. I felt like I was in Europe.
Of course I visited the weekend night market…although not nearly as elaborate or with as much variety as the markets in other countries I had been to, it still was a good experience, and cheap.
One day I decided to take a motorbike taxi to a famous temple called The Temple of Literature.
The Temple of Literature ( Van Mieu ), dedicated to Confucius, was founded in 1070 by Emperor Ly Thanh Tong. In 1076, Vietnam's first university was established here to educate Vietnam's administrative and warrior’s class. Parts of the university date from this earlier time period although the large complex has undergone many changes over the centuries. But recent archaeological study indicates that the architecture of this site belongs primarily to the Ly (1010-1225) and Tran (1225-1400) Dynasties. The complex is in a tranquil park-like site in the heart of central Hanoi.
One day after resting for a couple days, I was feeling cooped up and needed to get some fresh air. I went for a walk by the lake in the early evening.
A couple of men stopped me to talk; they are tour guides and wanted to practice their English with me. They were so happy that I speak English they offered to buy me dinner. I was hesitant at first, but decided to go for it. We took their motorbikes to a restaurant where a couple other friends of theirs joined us, and we drank cheap beer and ate a ton of food. Vietnamese people have not prejudices about what they eat; and the restaurant had a lot of interesting things to offer. Our dinner wasn't too wild regarding the food selection...but it was still a bit off compared to the American cuisine. Pig's stomach and chicken liver were a few of the items I tried.
I still think my noodle soup is better.The evening was a lot of fun, and even though I still was feeling terrible and exhausted, it was nice to have dinner with some people and a casual conversation. I’m really happy I had the opportunity to meet and talk to locals in Vietnam.
My last few days in Hanoi before heading to Ha Long Bay I needed to run a few errands. I had some clothes altered at a small shop and needed to pick them up. I decided to make a day of it and enjoyed the walk and bicycle taxi ride.
A few days prior to this, I was walking the streets in the market and happened upon the street that sells stamps. The stamp makers have tons of different styles and kinds and you can have them engrave your name in one. They carve the wood to make the stamp right in front of you, and can make any kind of designs…animals, dragons, landscapes, bamboo…anything. I promptly learned the word in Vietnamese for squirrel (‘sok’) and then I wandered from shop to shop looking for a squirrel stamp, but simply couldn’t find one. Nearer to my guest house I found a boy carving away and he speaks a little English. He said he doesn’t have a squirrel design but if I design one he can carve me a stamp. So…I designed my very own squirrel stamp. It was time to pick it up now.
Bright and early the next morning I would be on a bus to Ha Long Bay, Vietnam.
Saturday, May 16, 2009
More Hanoi...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment