I was still in poor condition, in-fact, before arriving to the bus station; we went to the hospital in Korat for the last appointment there before I would be going to the hospital in Bangkok. As I quietly cried to myself on the bus I felt myself over heating. Continuously stirring in my seat and trying to cool off on the bus was difficult. It was a public bus and very crowded. My clothes were sticking to my body and I felt like my skin was on fire.
Around dusk I arrived at the bus terminal and took a tuk-tuk to the guesthouse where I had previously stayed during my other times in Bangkok. It was the best choice for me since I was already familiar with the area, the prices, places to get noodle soup, and internet access locations.
I immediately undressed to go shower before bed, and all over my body where ever my clothes had touched me, I had developed a bad heat-blister rash from being too hot on the bus. Perfect, just another thing to add to my list of fun lately. But at this point I cared little; I was worn out from traveling. Regardless that the trip was not long compared to other trips I’ve taken, I simply hadn’t been this active in a very long time, and I just wanted to sleep.
My objective was to rest in my hotel room as much as possible, got to the hospital frequently, maybe do a couple of touristy things if feeling up to it and overall just wait, wait, wait, until I was able to depart Thailand.
All the houses are built on the water’s edge. Instead of cars they have boat garages under the bridges. There are walkways along the canals. It’s an interesting feeling driving in a boat through the neighborhood atop of water instead of a road.
I arrived in the early morning to the marketplace and the waterways were bursting with activity. All around me there were people in boats selling goods as well as shops lining the canals.
Another day I went to a historical place not far from Bangkok in Kanchanaburi.
It is known commonly as the Death Railroad…for every 8km of railroad, 1000 to 2000 workers died in the jungle. The Hellfire Pass Museum commemorates the 92,000 civilians and prisoners of war, who died at the hands of the Japanese military, a sign at the entrance states: "A life for every sleeper".
The men had to carry 110-pound (49kg) bags of rice on their backs for 2.5 miles (4km) from the River Kwai to the work camp. It took 4 men to carry the 600-pound (272kg) buckets of concrete, without any way to escape into the surrounding jungle.
Nearby the "Hellfire Pass Museum" is the "Jeath War Museum", operated by a Buddhist temple from the town of Kanchanaburi. The name, stands for countries involved in the atrocity: Japan, England, America, Australia, Thailand and Holland. New Zealand POWs were also involved in the building of the railway.
The British had surveyed a rail route across the mountains separating Thailand and Burma but deemed it impossible to build.
The Japanese evaluated the project with a standard that didn't consider the cost of human lives. They conscripted 250,000 Malays, Chinese, Tamils, and Burmese and 60,000 Allied prisoners of war to work 12- to 18-hour shifts.
Within 16 months, 80,000 civilians and 12,000 POWs died of disease, starvation, and brutality, it is impossible to conceive the suffering the River Kwai has witnessed.
Hollywood made a film about this historical event but many of the facts were off and the entire situation was down-played. The bridge over the River Kwai was not build with wood, but steel. A smaller wooden bridge was a temporary bridge built downstream for trucks to carry materials to build the "Bridge Over The River Kwai" as we see today, spanning the Kwai Yai River, upstream from the confluence with the Kwai Noi River, which the railroad follows into Burma.
River Kwai Bridge has eleven picturesque semicircular arches stretch 365 meters over the Kwai river. POWs took 9 months to construct the concrete pylons and assemble the sections of the bridge, which the Japanese robbed from Java, along with much of the railroad track.
A 75km section of the Death Railroad still operates today. Although I didn’t’ take the full ride on the train, today it still chugs slowly along, stopping at small Thai villages, passing through fields of bananas, sugarcane, and tapioca. You will see Thai Buddhist monks in their saffron robes, villagers going to and coming from the market, and school children crowd into the cars. After six decades, the river Kwai railroad still runs, only it serves the people of Thailand's countryside and not the Japanese Imperial army. The prisoners of war and civilian workers sacrificed their lives, but left a legacy for generations to come.
The railroad follows the winding of the river Kwai, crossing steep mountain cliffside trestles built at a staggering cost of human lives.
I went to a hospital in Bangkok that was across the river in another town. In actuality it was much closer than one in Bangkok. It was a mere 15 minute walk to the pier to take the boat across the river, and then just another 5 minutes to the hospital complex. It was a local hospital so I knew it would be much cheaper than the tourist hospitals would be. The prices were the same as they were in Korat, so that was a relief. I spent the better part of a day there, and then wandered the streets and markets of this town before returning back to my guesthouse. I went to this hospital almost daily to get the bandages changed on my bite wound, injections of antibiotics, and my scheduled Rabies shot before leaving Thailand.
The guides are all western people and speak English. When many of the people in the tour groups asked about the drugging, they all denied it. However I am pretty certain that I am the only one around that has worked with non-drugged tigers, so I am certain that I am right. Further I’m a pretty good judge their conditions considering I have worked in veterinary clinics for over 10 years and have seen many types of anesthetics and the symptoms that can be displayed by the animals.
I’m sure the guides don’t know the truth, and the monks too. The operation was bought-out by a larger commercialized company and allows the monks to remain at the temple there. The monks do the grounds keeping; sweeping, raking leaves and maintaining the gardens. Sounds to me as its free labor traded for a place to live. Pretty lame.
While spending this time in Bangkok, I needed to decide where to go next, however I already had a credit with an airline to go to Vietnam which was my plan to climb there, so I had just 12 days I could be away before my next Rabies shot. The reputations of hospitals in Vietnam are not that great so I would need to go else where when the time comes. Also when going home I will need to pass though Seoul, S. Korea then take a flight back to the States. Sangwon whom I had climbed with in Thailand lives in Seoul and invited me there to stay with him while receiving the last of my treatment at the hospitals there before going home. This was a great idea since Seoul is a fine city and very modern, yet medical treatment is far cheaper than the U.S.’s.
So the plan became to leave BKK and head for Hanoi, Vietnam to rest for a few days and perhaps a little climbing if feeling up for it.
No comments:
Post a Comment