Wat Ong Teu is the largest temple in Vientiane and is a Buddhist College for novices and some monks to study at. College to them is not what College is to western people. College in Laos is high school.
In Luang Prabang the age bracket of novices tends to be primary school ages. This is because LP is has the largest and best Buddhist primary schools in Laos so families from all over the country send their sons there to learn and become novices. This has multiple benefits in Asia. The young boys get a free education and are supported by the community. Community support through a temple is important because it relieves the pressure on the family to feed another mouth. So the boys go live in a temple, gain an education, learn manners and are taught to become good men in society. Buddhists also believe that making merit improves their Karma, thus giving alms, or monetary donations to a temple is good.
In Vientiane the novices go to study high school since this is where the largest Buddhist secondary schools are located. This city has loads of Wats, just like Luang Prabang does. This is the general trend. There are alternatives, like for example, Than in LP was studying French in college there.
Not all monks stay monks. Often the case in Laos is that after the novice finishes college (HS) he disrobes and will return home to work and help his family. Many monks when they disrobe also become guides for tourists. This is because while being a monk they have the opportunity to learn English, and can make better money as a guide to foreigners. By making a higher wage, they are then able to send money home to their parents in the rural villages. So be nice to your tour guides, he may have been a monk previously.
When Leang and I were in Pak Beng walking with the Lao the 3Km each way to the bus station they were talking and Leang asked questions about reading Lao language. He learned there are only a few slight differences, as well as with speaking. Within 3 minutes Leang was able to speak and read the language since it is so similar to Thai.
Blue is okay, but I really wanted one of these bags in a more girly color. Kinda impossible considering monks are not very girly hahaha.
In this photo I am eating sticky rice with BBQ fish. Arroy mak mak!
A monk from the Seattle in the states, arrived and would be staying at Wat Ong Teu for one day. Leang told him we planned on sight-seeing that day and invited him to come with us. So the 3 of us went out to see the sights and it was a more proper way for Leang and I to be able to travel around in public together.
We learned that this monk currently lives in Seattle, but had studied Buddhism in Cambodia and was ordained when he lived there for a year. He visits his old temple in Cambodia every year, and was only touring Laos for a few days before he would return to Cambodia for the Buddhist New Year festival which is April 12-14th.
This is me making good merit by donating some change to the temple and the Abbot gave me a bracelet and blessed me with holy water.
On another day Leang and I visited Anousavari Monument which is the triumphal arch of Vientiane built in 1962. It was constructed out of concrete that the USA gave Laos to cponstruct an airport for the war. Laos made this monument for the people who died in wars defending the country.
Vientiane would be the last place in Laos we would visit.
In my experience of Laos, the people are not as friendly as in the other countries I have been to in SE Asia. In Myanmar my experience was wonderful, Malaysia, same thing, the people were great, very helpful and were honest with me. Over-all Thai people are really friendly as well. In Thailand, even if they don't like you or if they have a problem with you, they are still respectful and keep control of their emotions for the most part. Because farang don’t understand what the Thai people are saying in Thai, they maybe speaking poorly about you, but they are still cordial, and this keeps things from ruining the rest of your day. Yes, it is bad manners to talk about someone badly, but lets face it, do you really want to know what they think of you during a disagreement? Or would you rather settle things, move on, have a good rest of your day and let it go?
I have seen tourists get pretty disrespectful with Thai people many times, and yet after being in Thailand as long as I had, I've only seen Thai people loose their cool 2 times, and it was a short out-burst, and totally legit on their part.
Laos people are not this way, my overall experience has been terrible with the people. Perhaps you couldn’t tell from my blog entries; I try to make the most of things and adapt and enjoy my circumstances regardless of other peoples attitudes. But if you have a disagreement, Lao people will shout at you, they will loose their tempers, because they simply don’t care as much. The people lie left and right, only care about money and will lead you astray if they feel it will benefit them.
In my experience of Laos, the people are not as friendly as in the other countries I have been to in SE Asia. In Myanmar my experience was wonderful, Malaysia, same thing, the people were great, very helpful and were honest with me. Over-all Thai people are really friendly as well. In Thailand, even if they don't like you or if they have a problem with you, they are still respectful and keep control of their emotions for the most part. Because farang don’t understand what the Thai people are saying in Thai, they maybe speaking poorly about you, but they are still cordial, and this keeps things from ruining the rest of your day. Yes, it is bad manners to talk about someone badly, but lets face it, do you really want to know what they think of you during a disagreement? Or would you rather settle things, move on, have a good rest of your day and let it go?
I have seen tourists get pretty disrespectful with Thai people many times, and yet after being in Thailand as long as I had, I've only seen Thai people loose their cool 2 times, and it was a short out-burst, and totally legit on their part.
Laos people are not this way, my overall experience has been terrible with the people. Perhaps you couldn’t tell from my blog entries; I try to make the most of things and adapt and enjoy my circumstances regardless of other peoples attitudes. But if you have a disagreement, Lao people will shout at you, they will loose their tempers, because they simply don’t care as much. The people lie left and right, only care about money and will lead you astray if they feel it will benefit them.
I can't even count the number of times we asked someone something and they flat out would lie to Leang and I. Now I could cut them some slack if they were only lying to a tourist, still not great....but its a BUDDHIST COUNTRY, and lying to a a MONK?!?! I mean common people!!! Get a grip on your karma!
We both were appalled by this....every town, every place we visited the same thing. The exceptions to this were the really friendly Laos guy from the boat ride and the monks/novices in Luang Prabang. Every professional experience we had pretty much left a bad taste in our mouths.
Our original plan was to part ways in Vientiane; I would fly to Vietnam, and Leang would return to Thailand to help his old Abbot at the temple he lived at when he first became a monk during Songkran festival. Songkran is the Thai name for the Buddhist New Year. In Laos it’s Pii Mai. Leang’s ex-Abbot requested he come to help at the temple since there is only the Abbot and one other monk. Leang agreed before we left Chiang Mai, and this is what our plan was.
However, while in Vientiane, Leang called to his old Abbot at Wat Bonpong in Thailand and mentioned that he was with me but would be leaving Laos soon to come there. He explained who I was and the Abbot was thrilled. He invited me to come there and spend Thai New Year in their small village.
I accepted!
Woo-Hoo!!! Back to Thailand we go!!!
WOW!! I love reading this! Thanks for posting all your adventures Heather......my mom is from Thailand and I haven't been back since I was 7. Sounds like you're having an adventure of a lifetime. Let's go climb when you get back!
ReplyDelete