Christmas for me in Ton Sai was full of relaxation and fun for 3 days. Here is why. The Scandinavian Christmas takes place on December 24th, while Christmas for the rest of the world is December 25th. Further, due to the time difference, Christmas at home in Idaho ends on the morning of the 26th here in Ton Sai. I celebrate all of my holidays this way in Asia….my birthday was also a 2 day event!
Anyway, the Mafia and I (and some Swedish-whom might I add have come back strong with a Mafia of their own, but Sweds and Norwegians can understand each other because the languages are so similar, so they tend to just overtake the Ton Sai territory as a team…it wasn’t always this way…
I have become friends with a group of young strong Sweds, guys and girls. By young, I mean they are early 20’s. I became friends with 2 Swedish guys over coffee and breakfast at a place called the Pyramid bar one morning. They asked who I have been spending my time with since I am traveling alone, and I went on to explain ‘The Norwegian Mafia’ to them. Now the thing I learned about Scandinavian people is that when they don’t know someone they tend to observe and assess the situation and the person. They tend to all be very quiet and calculated until they get to know you. They thought it was a humorous story, but one of them looked at me with such certainty it made me laugh and said ‘There is a Swedish Mafia also…you will see, it’s coming.’ He explained that some of their friends would be arriving within the next few days.
A few days later Rannveig, Steve, and a few others were walking along the beach of Railey when I noticed a large group of very attractive people walking our way. Now imagine a scene out of a teen movie where the popular kids come walking up in slow motion, guys with beautiful bodies, and the girls dressed perfectly, and hair blowing in the breeze…that’s exactly what it was like. It was the young Swedish Mafia. They came back strong. There are 9 of them. They walked up to us, we chatted for a bit, laughed over some jokes, got introductions and continued on our way.
That week it was raining a little, and I was done climbing and lying on the beach under the overhung rock watching the Swedish Mafia climb a route called ‘Mafia Connection’. Over dinner that night with the Norwegian Mafia, I mentioned to Lis (the Cuban woman who is head of the mafia) that I watched them climb it that morning, because it is a rather difficult climb, and I was impressed. She then told me that the Norwegian Mafia climbed it that evening. Hahahaha! So funny!
Over time, there has been more and more Sweds showing up, and they are stong. They have united with the Norwegians and its one big happy group. They are dominating the climbing scene for sure. And I am the adopted American.
Anyway, back to Christmas….We had 2 of them one for the Scandinavians and one for everyone else. It was raining on and off during those couple of days, so there was alot og eating and lounding around. We all had such a great time!
Anyway, the Mafia and I (and some Swedish-whom might I add have come back strong with a Mafia of their own, but Sweds and Norwegians can understand each other because the languages are so similar, so they tend to just overtake the Ton Sai territory as a team…it wasn’t always this way…
I have become friends with a group of young strong Sweds, guys and girls. By young, I mean they are early 20’s. I became friends with 2 Swedish guys over coffee and breakfast at a place called the Pyramid bar one morning. They asked who I have been spending my time with since I am traveling alone, and I went on to explain ‘The Norwegian Mafia’ to them. Now the thing I learned about Scandinavian people is that when they don’t know someone they tend to observe and assess the situation and the person. They tend to all be very quiet and calculated until they get to know you. They thought it was a humorous story, but one of them looked at me with such certainty it made me laugh and said ‘There is a Swedish Mafia also…you will see, it’s coming.’ He explained that some of their friends would be arriving within the next few days.
A few days later Rannveig, Steve, and a few others were walking along the beach of Railey when I noticed a large group of very attractive people walking our way. Now imagine a scene out of a teen movie where the popular kids come walking up in slow motion, guys with beautiful bodies, and the girls dressed perfectly, and hair blowing in the breeze…that’s exactly what it was like. It was the young Swedish Mafia. They came back strong. There are 9 of them. They walked up to us, we chatted for a bit, laughed over some jokes, got introductions and continued on our way.
That week it was raining a little, and I was done climbing and lying on the beach under the overhung rock watching the Swedish Mafia climb a route called ‘Mafia Connection’. Over dinner that night with the Norwegian Mafia, I mentioned to Lis (the Cuban woman who is head of the mafia) that I watched them climb it that morning, because it is a rather difficult climb, and I was impressed. She then told me that the Norwegian Mafia climbed it that evening. Hahahaha! So funny!
Over time, there has been more and more Sweds showing up, and they are stong. They have united with the Norwegians and its one big happy group. They are dominating the climbing scene for sure. And I am the adopted American.
Anyway, back to Christmas….We had 2 of them one for the Scandinavians and one for everyone else. It was raining on and off during those couple of days, so there was alot og eating and lounding around. We all had such a great time!
No comments:
Post a Comment