Saturday, March 28, 2009

Myanmar.....

I left early in the morning for Myanmar, and it was a long journey there.
I didn't really know what to expect, I had heard varying stories about the country. One thing I did know, is that there are no ATM's within the country, and you must bring enough money with you for your trip.
Also because of the lack of banks, the only places to exchange currencies are at guesthouses or through locals that will do it for you. Can be tricky, so you have to plan ahead.



Another thing I knew is that you cannot enter the country at one point and leave through another point. They keep your passport at the point you entered and you must also exit through that point to get it back. This makes travel through out the country very difficult, and most often people will fly into Yangon and visit that city and neighboring ones as well. I however needed to cross the border in order to receive another Thai tourist visa when I would re-enter Thailand. Not a problem, and this is a very common place to do visa-runs. I was excited through to be doing one in the famous Golden Triangle.



When I arrived, I was immediately hassled by loads and loads of Burmese people trying to sell me things. Everything I didn't want or need.















The people lined the streets waiting for tourists with money, however after looking around, I realized I was the only one. There were some Thai people there, but really, I was the only person with white skin. I suppose it is not so common for western people to come here. Most would just fly to Yangon if wishing to visit Myanmar.







I couldn't get away from it, so I hurriedly just picked a direction and started walking, turning corners here and there, walking through small narrow streets.
















Eventually there weren't people around trying to sell me things. Eventually there wasn't anyone around. Eventually, I was lost. Hours went by and I kept walking, just enjoying the scenery and taking in the new country that I was visiting.






















































After awhile when approaching a village I began to see people...I asked (more like pointed and pantomimed) if I could take their photos, and they agreed.















Young novice monks trying to shade themselves from the sun while walking.












An old woman and her grandson walking to market. They have clay paint on their faces; it is Myanmar tradition.

It is used to keep the sun away, lighten their skin, keep away insects, and also considered beautiful since it is like make-up. Everyone wears it, I saw it on all kinds of people; old, young, men, women, and even on babies. At first I didn't understand what it was or, why they wear it.











A woman from a hill-tribe village that was on her way home after selling fruit at the market near the border. Notice that she also has the paint.
















Now within a village, and still hungry, I came upon a house with the family gathered around eating. They had a food stall set up where they would sell food the their neighbors. I was so hungry, I tried to ask in English as well as Thai if I could buy something to eat. They didn't understand me at all. So I pantomimed again. Eventually they understood, and I tried to ask what it was since it all looked so foreign to me.

The older woman yelled something, and her young daughter came running out of the back room. When seeing me, she slowed down and bowed her head and became very shy. She mother said something to her and she put her had to her forehead with her head lowered and looked pensive. Then she quickly looked up, eyes bright, and said 'Are you hungry!?'
I laughed and said 'I am. I have been wandering these streets for a few hours, and I just came upon your house, but I don't know what this food is...can you tell me?' She looked panicked, and confused. I laughed again and said 'What is?'
She relaxed and concentrated again. Then just as quickly as the first time she shouted while pointing, 'Fish! Fish!.....Chicken! Chicken!...Beans! Soup! You want???' Of course I did, so I told her anything she likes, I want to try. The entire family began making plates for me. The entire meal cost me about 0.50 cents, and I had seconds of the lentil soup.

They all had face paint on also, and still not understanding why they wear it, the girl explained to me its tradition. She asked me if I like, and if I want and I said sure. She then got out the stone and the sandalwood and mixed it with water and painted my face.
She sat withe me while I ate, and I learned that she was 17 years old, although she looked no more than 14. She asked everything about me, and was very eager to know anything I shared. One statement led to 10 more questions. She told me that in school she had learned to write English, and had learned to read English, but never before had she spoken it to someone that is a native speaker. She said I speak very quickly, and that she was excited because she gets to practice with me.

We spoke for a long time, then she got up suddenly and left. When she came back she asked me again if I liked the face paint. I said I did, and it was lovely. She then handed me a container of the concentrated sandalwood. It is pre-mixed and you just have to add water to make the paste. She said it is a gift for helping her speak English. I was so touched by her kindness.


She then invited me on a tour of the city on her motorbike.












She took me to the giant pagoda on the hill over-looking the city.



























































She also took me to a temple, and the style is much different than in Thailand, but very beautiful.










My trip to this country was amazing, despite the continual warnings I had from friends and family back home in the States telling me not to go. Now having only visited the border city, I would love to go back and visit Yangon next time...I really feel the people have had alot of difficult times over the years, but it has made them much more welcoming and giving.

No comments:

Post a Comment