The town of Thermopolis, Wyoming held a lot more surprises than originally met my eye.
Through out working we had came and gone multiple times through this town because of its location to our sites and it being the main town we could stay in to reach those sites easily. The town gets its name because of its thermal energy.
In these photos I am at the state park checking out all the thermal water. I touched my toes in this creek to see if it is actually hot or just warm it was REALLY HOT! Yikes!!

One of the days while working in an area between Idaho and Wyoming we finished up one site early on in the morning and were making our way to the next site. It was quite a drive and I really REALLY had to pee. Finally the guys pulled over and it was in the middle of no where....sand all around.


Here I am goofing around in the sand.
Another gem of this city is the Dinosaur Museum. My co-workers asked me about my jacket brand Arc-teryx, and what the symbol is. They apparently have never heard of that company but when I told them the story they thought it was pretty neat too. Arc-teryx is actually a shortened word of Archaeopteryx. Archaeopteryx was a primitive bird that lived during the Jurassic period and because it displays a number of features common to both birds and dinosaurs, Archaeopteryx has often been considered a link between birds and dinosaurs.
A handful of fossils have been found of this species and most of which display proto-feathers and has become a key piece of evidence for the debate over evolution. I had interest Archaeopteryx since learning about it high school, and then during all my raptor classes in university. My co-workers were aware of my interest and took me there as a surprise. I was ecstatic! I was giddy and excited to finally see one...I felt like I just won the lotto.

It was my first time seeing real dinosaur fossils. So big!!!! They are really impressive. Amazing that things grew and survived like these. It really rattles your mind about the possibilities of this world.

Another day we were able to go to a dinosaur tracks site. This place used to be a beach near the ocean a long time ago. The tracks were imprints in sand and became fossilized.

Here I am pointing out a foot-print, it is hard to see in this photo, but it was really neat to see in person!

One of the days while working in an area between Idaho and Wyoming we finished up one site early on in the morning and were making our way to the next site. It was quite a drive and I really REALLY had to pee. Finally the guys pulled over and it was in the middle of no where....sand all around.
So we decided to drive a little further up the road to where a hill was. I got out of the truck and went off to the side of the road to do my thing. We decided to check out the view on the top of the hill and take a photo. Good thing we did because the view was awesome.
We came upon a batholithe in an area near Montana and Wyoming and as we were trying to locate a tiny dirt road on our topo map. We hiked up to the top to get a better view since we seemed to not be on the right dirt road....aka...lost.


Regardless, the view was really great from up here.
Some of our site were located in an all too famous national park...I was thrilled! I had never went there before!

And the most famous place of all...is Old Faithful. By the way it was freezing cold this day.

And the most famous place of all...is Old Faithful. By the way it was freezing cold this day.
This is Old Faithful doin it's thing.
Giving Lucky a little love at Yellowstone Lake while we take a break from the long drive.
We checked out the Fountain Paint Pots as well.
Red Spouter in Yellowstone National Park
Red Spouter in Yellowstone National Park
Last year while doing geo-physics work I cut my hair and donated it to Locks-of-Love. I decided to do it again. Seems this time of year is the time to do it, just in time for the warm weather!
No comments:
Post a Comment